"Fashion fades, Style is eternal"
-Yves Saint Laurent
recent update :
|
Sophistication
written on Tuesday, 3 September 2013 @ 23:31 ✈
At the beginning of the IDE, we were unable to grasp the concept of "Identity" being portrayed through fashion. However, we eventually understood the true meaning of forming an identity through the clothes that we are wearing. The clothes we wear is just as important as the way we conduct ourselves, if not more. No one would take a sloppily dressed person seriously. Through fashion, we are able to express ourselves and with the correct dressing, we are able to conduct ourselves more confidently. We are also more aware of our true selves now that we have the knowledge of showing an identity through our outfits. At the same time, fashion is like a new skin, enabling us to portray a new side to us.
Truthfully there were times when we felt really stressed as the datelines were extremely rushed and we had trouble finding our required materials given a tight budget. However, this IDE was indeed not a wrong choice made by us. It was really fun and enriching despite the tight schedules. Before this IDE started, our mindset was that fashion was just simply the clothing we are clad in and being in trend. After going through this IDE, we learnt that fashion is not about the brands, but about expressing your true self and portraying one's own unique identity. We were also exposed to different fashion styles when we were out searching for fashionista suitable for our street style fashion blog. It was really an eye opening experience for us, we are thankful for being given this opportunity to in this amazing IDE.
|
Sophistication
written on Tuesday, 3 September 2013 @ 23:31 ✈
At the beginning of the IDE, we were unable to grasp the concept of "Identity" being portrayed through fashion. However, we eventually understood the true meaning of forming an identity through the clothes that we are wearing. The clothes we wear is just as important as the way we conduct ourselves, if not more. No one would take a sloppily dressed person seriously. Through fashion, we are able to express ourselves and with the correct dressing, we are able to conduct ourselves more confidently. We are also more aware of our true selves now that we have the knowledge of showing an identity through our outfits. At the same time, fashion is like a new skin, enabling us to portray a new side to us.
Truthfully there were times when we felt really stressed as the datelines were extremely rushed and we had trouble finding our required materials given a tight budget. However, this IDE was indeed not a wrong choice made by us. It was really fun and enriching despite the tight schedules. Before this IDE started, our mindset was that fashion was just simply the clothing we are clad in and being in trend. After going through this IDE, we learnt that fashion is not about the brands, but about expressing your true self and portraying one's own unique identity. We were also exposed to different fashion styles when we were out searching for fashionista suitable for our street style fashion blog. It was really an eye opening experience for us, we are thankful for being given this opportunity to in this amazing IDE.
|
ABOUT US
Clad in dresses from topnotch international labels may be the dream that every girl is perceived to possess. But that's not the case for me. I pride simplicity and comfort over brand and that is essentially what's most important to me. Like what Ralph Lauren once said “Fashion is not necessarily about labels. It's not about brands. It's about something else that comes from within you. Style is very personal. It has nothing to do with fashion. Fashion is over quickly. Style is forever. " Even though my dressing style is not elaborated like how it is classified as being fashionable in today’s context, I am proud of it as it represents me for who I am. I personally do not feel that there is a need for me to conform to trends, as they vary over time. However, who I stand for is unique to me and it does not change.
My interest in fashion was sparked when I first saw a Japanese Visual Kei band's music video. Their dressing seemed so bizarre, yet the overall aesthetics were so bright and colorful, it had drawn me in deeply. Coloured hair, coloured lenses, coloured makeup, it was a new experience. Because I was so intrigued by the style, I embarked on a research to find out more and soon came upon many other styles that were very appealing to me. Now, I frequently check up on blogs like japanesestreets.com, where candid pictures of teenagers of Japanese street fashion are uploaded daily. One can really see the diverse ways in which an individual can expression themselves in.
Despite my interest in the Japanese street fashion, I have my own style preference. Most of the time, I like to put on T-shirts and shorts. However, I always try to spice things up by donning accessories like belts, necklaces and bracelets to add a splash of colour and individuality. Sometimes, I also make adjustments to my outfit by layering a vest etc. When I am out looking for clothes, I always make a point to try on the clothes as what looks good to me may not be suitable to my overall image, and also to get a feel on the comfort level and the level of ease of movement.
Honestly, I was never into fashion until recently when I stumbled upon some very inspiring fashion bloggers. Nonetheless, prior to that, I always had this impression that fashion is equivalent to vanity. This thought was soon eroded as I came to a realization that fashion meant self-expression. It empowers us with the ability to make a statement not through speech, not through actions but through what we wear. However, fashion is now so deeply integrated in our society that we sometimes, fail to appreciate how significant it is in our life, as intuitive and subconscious as it is.
As for my own personal fashion style, I prefer something more comfortable and yet, still able to reflect my inner self and gives me the ability to express myself liberally in an aesthetically appealing manner. Shorts and jeans usually do the trick for me, and Converse as well as Vans are my all-time favourite. I love jackets of all sorts as they never fail to keep me warm but also add onto my original look. All in all, Fashion can be something simple for us to wear to feel good about ourselves, or something as vital and influential such as an illustration of culture, time and its revolutions, depending on how we perceive it.
Since young, my favourite past time was to go online to play dress up games and this hobby eventually evolved into following up with fashion bloggers, both local and foreign. I also like to surf the lookbook.nu website to browse through the entries posted by different people all over the world and have a better understanding of the fashion trend that is happening around the world. To replace the dress up games that I used to go crazy over, I now mix and match different clothing item from different brands using Polyvore as and when I am free.
I feel that it is good for one to have a certain style and way of dressing but this should not restrict them from exploring and trying out new styles. As for myself, a pair of shorts paired with a t-shirt would be my go-to outfit, considering the humid weather in Singapore. I try to avoid flip flops as much as I can and would choose a pair of sandals even if I will only be out for a while. To me, comfort and visual aesthetic are both equally important when selecting an outfit.
Jeans or a maxi skirt paired with a crop top is my favourite outfit if I'm feeling a little more dressy on a normal day as it still matches the comfort and visually appealing criteria.
To dress up for an evening dinner, I would choose a dress to pair with some bracelets or a necklace. As for footwear, a pair of flats or wedges would complete my outfit.
I like to accessorize with bracelets, necklaces and earrings. However, I would only choose 2 out of these 3 of these accessories to match with my outfit to prevent over-accessories and looking like a "Christmas tree"
|
my sunshine
links exchanged opened! just tag me but link me first
|
link
coming soon....
|